Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happy Cheat Day = TGIF

Good Morning! I cannot believe I can sleep in today till 8:38am.  I feel so refresh this morning because I can finally sleep in! Anyway, let's talking about my Friday Food cheat.
After Halloween, my kids got like maybe close to 5-7 pounds of candies home. I ate about 2 mini size kit kats and that's it.  I hide those candies and try not to look at it.  For some reasons, I just have a crave for sugary food.  This does not happen too often to me.  I usually like salty snack like chips, meat and real BIG dinner stuff.  So last night, after a long Friday work, I came home and I started searching for an appropriate "Sugar" snack.  I found this Kroger Marshmallow Treasures in my cereal cabinet.
I know I hate to load myself up with Sugar but if I am really craving for it, I better eat something "healthier".
I am surprise to find this Kroger Marshmallow Treasures to be pretty healthy nutritional wise.
And here is the nutritional values from Calorie Count in about.com:


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
1 cup (29.6 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
120
Calories from Fat
9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
1.0g
2%
Saturated Fat
0.0g
0%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
200mg
8%
Total Carbohydrates
25.0g
8%
Dietary Fiber
1.0g
4%
Sugars
13.0g
Protein
2.0g
Vitamin A 10%Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 10%Iron 50%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet


In one cup of cereal there are only 1 g of fat and zero Cholesterol. On the calorie count webpage, it placed this cereal on the "A-" list for nutrition grade.  And this is what they said about the Grading:

Foods : What is the Nutrition Grade? (FAQs

The Nutrition Grade was developed with the goal of helping people improve the nutritional quality of their diets. This tool is fully automated and does not feature any manual corrections - hence all items are evaluated objectively and following the same set of rules. 

As you may know, not all nutrients are equally good for you. Some of them, like cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fats should be avoided as much as possible. Some other ones, however, such as minerals and vitamins, are essential for your health. Thankfully, the USDA devised the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) figures for each one of these nutrients, which were used as the foundation of the Nutrition Grade's algorithm. 

Obviously, foods rich in minerals and vitamins are graded highly, and their good points are all listed right next to their grade. Undesirable nutrients contribute to the bad points. Even though the USDA does provide RDA values for these nutrients, these values must be understood differently from those for the desirable nutrients; the undesirable RDAs should be viewed as the very last limit, whereas the desirable RDAs mark a target to shoot for. 

The Good and the Bad Points provide a summary of what the Nutrition Grade identifies as the food items' special strengths and weaknesses. Those points are then converted to a numerical format, and then finally turned into the well-known letter format (A-best; F-worst). 

No automated tool is perfect, and the same is true for this one. Please understand that Nutrition Grade only checks how close or far away a certain food is in respect to your RDAs. There are many more aspects that need to be considered for Health, and this is only one of them. 

Finally, Nutrition Grade will not necessarily help you lose weight. It will, hopefully, help you get it done as healthy as possible, but you could, for example, eat only perfectly graded food items and still end up gaining weight. Weight loss is all about counting calories and it is not necessarily related to health - but health and weight loss are also not mutually exclusive. In other words, you should keep an eye on your calories, and at the same time, also try to get as good a grade as you can. 

So you see, they clearly say that by eating the better grade food will not help you to lose weight, however; it does give you a better idea of what food is healthier than others.  And this is your choice in front of you.  Do you want to maintain a better health and still cheat once in a while?
And one quick point here, after I finished eating 3 bowls of those Marshmallow treasures, I right away, picked up my jump rope and started skipping for 22 minutes.  Since 1 minute of jumping rope can burn 11 calories, I was able to burn 242 calories without feeling guilty from eating my cheat food!

No comments:

Post a Comment