Total Pageviews

Monday, March 26, 2012

The benefits of Chia Seeds.

I have not blogged for over a long period of time and now I am back.

This blog serves too purposes.  One, is for me to keep a journal of what I do everyday. I want to use a journal to improve my spiritual life. I want to post some of the useful scriptures that I have heard or I have seen through my daily devotion.  Two, is I want to keep posting some great recipes or diet tips that can help me and others to improve our health and lives.

I want to have a better quality of life. I want not only to increase my energy but also to gain God's approval on my daily life.

So today, from my daily devotion. I have heard that we have to be thankful and know that we are blessed with God's love.

This is from

Psalm 34: I will bless the lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.





Today, I am going to talk introduce a new kind of healthy food to everyone. It gives me energy, it hydrates me and it makes me full.

What is this miracle food? Chai Seed is what I am talking about.
Chia is a edible, tasteless seed that  found in desert plants, Salvia hispanica.  It is a vegan, kosher,
non-GMO, Gluten-free see that has the following benefits:

It is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which is great for your heart.
It helps weight loss. Since Chia seeds can expand after soaking in water,  the Chia seeds in your stomach will expand as well and give you the feeling of "fullness".
It can hydrate your body due to its water absorbing quality.
It helps with your digestive system. In every 2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds, you can get :

Calories: 66
Total fat: 6.5 g
Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
Dietary Fiber 8.25g (easier to digest than flax seeds)
Omega-3 4160 mg
Omega-6 1370 mg
Calcium: 14%
Iron: 18%




What I have been doing with my Chia seeds is I like to put about two tablespoons of Chia in my morning spinach shake. It helps thickening my drinks and makes me feel full for longer time.  I also had tried to make their Chia Pudding.  It makes a great dessert and it is very easy to make.



This is a Wholefood.com recipe. Enjoy!


Serves 6

Chia seeds soaked overnight turn into a simple pudding, similar in consistency to tapioca.

Ingredients

2/3 cup chia seeds 
2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk such as soy, almond or rice milk 
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
2 tablespoons currants or chopped dried figs or dates 
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes 

Method

Put chia seeds, almond milk and vanilla in a 1-quart glass jar with a lid. Tighten the lid and shake well to thoroughly combine. Or, stir together seeds, almond milk and vanilla in a bowl. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, stir well. Spoon into bowls and top with fruit and coconut.

Nutrition

Heath Starts Here Program
Per serving: 280 calories (70 from fat), 7g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 49g total carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 3g protein



No comments:

Post a Comment